Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Loading caps

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Loading caps

    I bought a pair of 291-8T's. Todd told me the "T" was to indicate they were for theater use. They had loading caps to allow for high output. Should I remove them for home HiFi use?
    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Loading caps

    I probably won't hurt. Put thick felt on the inside of the back cover.

    If possible, I'll try to do some cap/no cap measurements and look at distortion and other stuff. It's probably a mixed bag with and without.

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loading caps


  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Loading caps


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Loading caps

    Altec's claim to the 23370 loading cap (Small Format) was that it improved Mid-Range frequency response and also higher power handling.But I too prefer the sound of the felt inside rear cover than that of the loading cap.I have a pdf on the cap but can't post on the forum.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Loading caps

    I never heard a difference with or without the caps; same with bug screens. I think people think that IF they can easily do a "mod" then it must be of benefit. A version of Berenek's Law at work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.